Sick and Tired

Being sick can really drag you down ...
We try so hard to get babies to rest, when did we forget we need to, also?

When I see that in print, it seems like a pretty obvious statement.

What is it about humans that makes us think we should be able to keep plugging along even when our bodies give us every indication we need to rest?

It is only in the last year or so that I've been in tune enough with my body to realize that when I'm really struggling to keep my mental spirits "high", feeling pulled down by every tiny frustration, often I am on the verge of getting sick. Succumbing to the need for rest and renewal is the only remedy to revive my spirits.

Yet, that is not my first inclination. My first inclination is to reign in my routine, become more productive, try to battle the sinking, downward pull with more do-ing.

I fought that pull all of last week ... desperately attempting to claw my way out of the fatigue and the  subsequent despair that descended upon me.

Mid-day Saturday my body just gave in. I finally lay down and allowed myself the rest my body had been so desperately seeking.

And I spent the next 48 hours doing little more than rest.

But in order for me to rest, my dear husband did not. While he insists he doesn't feel the inclination to nap and just has an uncomfortable sore throat, I can't help but feel the scales of fairness are a bit off, as he often shoulders the burden when I simply cannot.

As I climb out of the fog and stiffness of two days spent resting, I find myself grateful for "normal," thankful to go about my daily tasks with energy and peace, and immeasurably thankful for the loving care of my amazing husband.

We are called to a life that is a combination of work and rest. Yet, it can be so hard to break from the labors we feel pulling at us from every direction and simply rest. How do you find the time and space to rest and renew?

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

~Matthew 11:28-30

Comments

Popular Posts