Mid-Summer Exhale

So, it's been a good start to the summer.

We reached the point last week where being mid-way through summer coupled with late nights at Vacation Bible School created the perfect storm of tired mommy and kids.

And on Sunday we met my dad halfway between our home and his, and he took the boys for five days of exploration and fun.

On Monday, I promptly cleaned the house. Ahhhhhhh ....

On Tuesday, I spent the bulk of the day catching up on planning for the upcoming Confirmation year while Analise enjoyed time with her little friend Emily, thanks to the love and generosity of a dear friend. Ahhh ....

So I find myself in an odd position. While my friends are having the weeks from He!!, I am having a week where I catch up, get a few things done.

Exhale, if you will.

And therein I find perspective. As I read the posts and texts of my friends gasping for breath, I was in the unusual position of  being at peace.

A position I do not take lightly.

And not surprisingly as I perused the blog feed I found numerous voices echoing the same refrain, "It's summer, it's hot, the kids are bored and I'm SINKIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing."

And I'm thankful.

Thankful for a father who cherishes time with his grandkids and is willing to set aside a week each summer.

Thankful for a mother who has taken one each for a long weekend the last three weeks prior and who is always there to lend a hand or listening ear when needed.

Thankful for a husband who packs the kids up on a Saturday morning for a half-day tour of parks so I can recoup from a long week.

Thankful for the friends God has put in my path with children of similar ages who enjoy time spent with one another.

I'm thankful for all the people who do life with me day in and out so that I don't have to have as many days where I'm gasping, fighting the downward pull to keep my head above water and catch my breath.

And I want to pass that same sense of certainty in God's presence through those walking beside to as many people as I can because I know more than anything that is the essence of Emmanuel.

God with us.

Comments

Popular Posts