My (non) Mother's Day, and why it's okay


I've been a mother only six short years, and in that time, no two Mother's Days have been alike. Though there were some hallmarks I could count on - A card first thing while I'm still in bed, cuddles and kisses from the kids and some sort of special gift purchased by my dear husband.

This year will be different.

Scott and Lucas left Saturday morning for the Scouting overnight and advancement ceremonies that are to last until mid-day Sunday.

Once they arrive home, we will feed the kids lunch and then rush them to afternoon swimming lessons.

Sunday I will likely wake to the sound of Nicolas running into my room, begging me to get out of bed, eager to start the day.

And then there will be Analise. It's any one's guess what state she will be in when she wakes. Bed soiled or dry. Happy or grumpy. Eager to get dressed and eat breakfast or insistent on removing her clothes and staying in her room by herself.

So I will make my coffee and feed my kids breakfast. I'll do what needs to be done to enforce our boundaries and rules, and I will endure whatever wrath that brings.

Depending on the state of Analise, we may or may not make it to church.

And that will be our day - pretty much like any ordinary day.

Even my mother is missing, out of state visiting my brother's family.

And in the non-celebrating one thing feels truer than any other Mother's Day.

This is Motherhood.

Without the pretense of a special day and the unrealistic expectations that the children will be all the more delightful and the day all the more smooth simply because we have named it a day to celebrate mothers.

And really, Mother's Day can be tricky for many.

So this year, I am thankful for simple. A day being "Mom" is privilege enough for me.

Comments

Popular Posts