Getting Crafty

Nicolas hard at work

I'm about as fond of crafts as I am of scrubbing the toilet.

Crafting has just never been my thing.

All that stuff. Scraps. Mess. Never turning out quite the way I'd like.

However, crafts are an inevitable part of life with my 6, 4 and 2 year old children.

The minute breakfast is over my four-year-old asks for a craft.

I don't even have my coat and shoes off from after-school pickup and all three are chanting "Mommy, can we please do a craft?"

I realize there are all means of easy, cheap craft kits out there (I'm familiar with Oriental Trading Company) ... it's just not in my nature to go out and spend money on that sort of thing.

So, the other day when Nicolas was happily scribbling on a piece of colored paper with markers, I took the opportunity to put stamps and address labels on our Christmas cards. In the same package of Christmas stuff were the odds and ends of leftover wrapping paper from last year's gifts.

I just can't bring myself to throw it away, even though the chances are marginal of finding gifts small enough to wrap in these tiny pieces.

Then it hit me.

Easy, no cost craft!

"Hey Nicolas, you want to make a collage?"

Nicolas' Collage

I presented him with page after page of wrapping paper scraps and told him he could cut out any picture he liked and paste it to his paper. After watching him joyfully cut and paste for a few minutes, I joined in as well.

Mommy's Collage


Turned out, the whole family had fun.


Lucas' Collage, with 2-D elements, of course
Analise's Masterpiece

Comments

Popular Posts