Christmas with Wartburg


Tonight I attended a Christmas with Wartburg concert (Christmas concert put on my the choirs and wind ensemble from my Alma mater) for the first time in a number of years.

How many? I'm thinking at least six. I don't think we have gone since the birth of our first child.

At any rate, it was pretty amazing.

I had forgotten what it was like to sing among a group of musicians of that caliber.

That is the thing about Christmas with Wartburg...you are not merely an observer but an active participant. There was literally a member of the choir standing next to me as we sang a hymn.

Dang.

I have the overwhelming realization that I had no idea what I had at the time.

I mean ... I knew. I didn't make the choir as a freshman, as some did, so I had a pretty good appreciation by the time I made it that it was something special to be appreciated.

What I didn't realize was that it was the last time I would have to participate in an ensemble of that caliber for the foreseeable future.

And there I was tonight. Sitting literally in the midst of the these amazing musicians as they encircled the audience and bathed us in the melody of their very hearts and souls.

There is a transcendence we experience through music that takes us out of our reality into the ephemeral.

I can only imagine what eternity holds.

Comments

Popular Posts