Summertime thoughts ... suggestions wanted

We are moving from the structured fall/winter schedule to our more "relaxed" summer schedule and I have to say, I'm a bit scared. We're losing at least one biweekly activity, which means coming up with something to keep the kids entertained and busy. If the weather cooperates, this could take the form of a walk to the park and play time.

That is always the hope in the summer -- beautiful sunny days that we can spend outdoors exploring parks, enjoying the pool and generally bumming around in the fresh air. But what we forget over the long, blustery winter is that summer in the Midwest can be a beast of its own with its sky-high temperatures, suffocating humidity and relentlessly hot sun.

So I'm looking for new and different indoor/outdoor activities appropriate for a 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old. Oh, and preferably free or very cheap.

We already enjoy a weekly kindermusik-type activity at a local church and the library's story time.

So, what else do you do to keep your kids actively engaged over the summer? All ideas welcome.

Comments

  1. Sonya,
    I have included the link to our Parks and Recreation web-site. Not being a WDM resident, you may not have gotten our Department's insert in the WDM Magazine that comes out 3 times a year.
    You can browse through our summer insert at the web-site to find some programs that might work for you and the boys.

    I would suggest Fairytale Time in the Park, the Recreational Bicycling Club, and some others that may apply. Of course, these are my programs, but I hope that you can at least find some ideas.

    Let me know if you want to be added to the mailing list to receive the brochure each time it comes out!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I lied. I forgot to include the link. Here it is:
    http://www.wdm-ia.com/index.aspx?page=197
    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts